Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review: Have You Filled a Bucket Today?

I have a new favorite book. (Not that I don't have many favorites, but this certainly makes my list.) Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids explains how each of us carries an invisible bucket. We fill our bucket with good feelings...when people say something nice to us, smile at us, or help us. If we are kind, we can help to fill the buckets of others. Some people are bucket dippers and take the goodness from other people's buckets.

I first read about this book on a teacher's blog (have no idea where!); the book was being used to help kids practice kindness.

In our family we read the book and started talking about what fills our buckets and what empties them. This is a book that should be read at least weekly around here. :) I'm thinking about making physical buckets for my two youngest. I'd like to have them put something in the other person's bucket so they notice times that they're being kind.

My bucket filler for you today...you are an awesome group of educators. I'm learning so much from visiting your blogs and reading your comments. Thank you for what you do!!!

Now go and fill a bucket!

4 comments:

  1. A book very similar to this is written by Max Lucado. It's called You Are Special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever get a chance to hear and/or hear this author speak, you will NOT want to miss her. She's an EXPERT bucket filler and such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, thank you for this review. This is just the kind of book I've been looking for for my son. I'm going to see if our library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy:
    We just read this book last week in my sixth grade class.
    It made them focus on the little acts of kindness that are so often overlooked. It was great to hear kids saying, "You just filled my bucket." LOVED IT!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips