Wednesday, September 22, 2010

100 Day Countdown to 2011

The tradition of "100 Days of School" is a little difficult for us to pull off. We do school ALL. THE. TIME. Sure, we have days off--"it's a gorgeous day so we're playing outside" or "it's snowing so we're on vacation"--but when public school started here, we were already on week #9 of schoolish stuff. So it's hard to come up with "100 Days of School" to count. (I actually think the concept of "100 Days of School" could really confuse my youngest since our stop/start days are so vague.)

Instead, we are doing "100 Days to the New Year." Today, I begin by asking my ds:

1. How many days do you think it is until 2011? (estimate...I may have him show me on a number line how many days--how far--he thinks it is)
2. How could you figure out how many days until 2011?
3. Figure out how many days.

We'll be doing some activities with 100 over the coming months. It'd be great if others want to join us.* You can start by having your kiddos do the activities above. You can google "Countdown 2011" and find sites like this one that are counting down in days, hours, minutes, seconds.


*If you are doing "100 Days of School" it wouldn't be hard to join us since most 100 school days will come soon after the New Year.

P.S. I'm thinking about making the 2011 Children's Calendar a surprise gift for the 100th day! ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love this and we'll be playing along with our number line! Great way to count backwards! We may have to get the calendar when the time comes as well.

    We do the 100 ways to celebrate since 100 days of school is misleading. We picked Sept. 1st to start and counting from there on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I have never done the 100 for school because we also school all year. I will do this with the kids instead. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips